Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Happy Birthday Aunt Mammie



Today in 1902, Henry and Ella Criswell gave birth to their second daughter, Mammie S. Criswell. Mammie was the older sister to Lillie Mae Odom. The Picture on the left was taken in 1919 when Aunt Mammie was 19 years old. The picture on the right was taken on Mothers Day in 1975. Uncle James could always make her laugh. Today as I was looking for pictures of Aunt Mammie I was remembering things about her. I always will remember the closeness she had with her Sisters. She was always soft spoken and always with a smile. Her house was in Soperton on a busy street. Her driveway went straight to her white garage that was separate from the house. Inside the garage was license plates of different colors nailed to the walls. I loved her car, which I was able to see several month ago at Aunt Rubys House. I asked several Family member what was their first thoughts and memories was of Aunt Mammie. Aunt Joyce said: I thought of her as my second grandmother. Since my Grandmother died when I was young, Aunt Mammie step into her place. Frank Odom said: She lived in Soperton. (He was a little busy when I called) Vicki Volkman said: Her Black car with red interior, and the apple tree in her backyard. Those apples were small and so sweet. Kay Milligan said: I always thought of her as my Grandmother. I really don't remember my Grandmother and Aunt Mammie was always there. * Aunt Joyce and Mom (Kay) both added about her living with her dad and taken over her Mothers role. Do you have a memories or thought you would like share! Please e-mail me or make a comment at the bottom of this post. Mammie Criswell 9/20/1902 - 10/24/1987

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home